Thursday, August 27, 2009

THE BEAUTIFUL BLUE DANUBE

I don't want to think that I was just lying around the last few weeks- I was getting ready to take a trip! That's a big decision to make, for me at least. It all started at Christmastime, 2008, which you will remember was when we first became aware that the country's finances had tanked. My daughter and I decided we would go to Europe - one last time for me. But when we looked at our brokerage statements, and read the news, we drew back because who knew what would happen next? I felt sorry for our travel agent, who sat alone and mournful in his office while Oro Valley oldsters cancelled their tours, right and left. But as the summer approached and there was no absolute disaster (other then my GM bonds) I thought "Why Not?" Things couldn't be much worse. So we re-engaged with the travel agent and now we are set for a river trip on the Danube.

I chose the river boat for several reasons -first, you can leave all your things in your cabin for 21 days, no packing or moving, or having your luggage outside the door at 7:30, and all your meals will be right there. Secondly, I have this image of sitting in a deck chair, with a plaid rug keeping out the breeze, drinking hot chocolate with whipped cream on top, and gliding past quaint German towns with people dressed in ethnic clothing. Sound good? Does to me. Is the Danube really blue?

I hope my daughter and I get along in a small cabin. Usually about three days is our max, but I think there will be a lot to do on the boat that should minimize friction. Then we have to stick together, to manage in strange countries where people speak languages totally unfamiliar to us. I hope for the best. I always used to travel with my husband, and he was no trouble at all. As long as he got some orange juice in the morning, he was totally cool and laid back and you could rely on him. He knew how to start strange rental cars and how to drive on the wrong side of the road, how to tip wherever he was, and how to get clean shirts. Now I am on my own, but I would never, never drive a car on the wrong side of the road, don't worry

I won't be leaving until September 5 - More about packing to come. Also, should we visit a concentration camp? I think it will be terribly distressing for me, but my daughter says we must go to honor the dead.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At April 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrіte more, thats all I havе tο saу.
Literally, it seems as though you гelied on the video to make уour point.

You definitely knoω ωhat youre tаlking
abοut, ωhy throw away your intelligencе on just ρosting videos
to your weblоg whеn you could be gіving us something іnformative to read?


Visit my blog - click through the next site

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home