Saturday, June 7, 2014

WHAT DO BIRDERS DO?

Just back from a stay with the Birders- that is, a few days at a B and B dedicated to birding in southern Arizona. To tell the truth I am not a birder, I don't really know what birders do. I know they have kind of neat clothes and little packs over their backs, and field glasses, and bottles of water (if you don't take water in southern Arizona you will be a dead birder). I know birders get up way too early in the morning, stay away an uber long time, and then come home and talk about all the wonders they have seen. All the birders I have known are very happy with this, although it seems to me to be a little bit boring. Part of my problem with this is that I am utterly incapable of using my bird glasses - I've tried and I can't focus and then all I see is the building across the street, or the ground. Maybe if I could do this I,too, could be a birder. I would like to. The B and B is wonderful. It is owned and run by a fine couple, Karl and Patrick, very skilled at this. They are gourmet cooks and the building is wonderfully furnished and comfortable. The interior couryard is an oasis of plants and fountains, with birds everywhere. This is on the banks of the San Pedro River, which I have been told that the river's banks are what is a veritable Route 66 for birds, who use it to travel to wherever thay are going - and who knows where that is. My daughter and I were the only guests at this time - because it was the very hot season (104 while we were there)so we didn't have to sit at tables and talk to perfect strangers while we are eating. I suppose to dedicated birders that would not be problem, however it"just that that aspect of B andB's is not appealing to me. So Karl ate with us and Patrick cooked his eggs Florentine, and fresh peach poached in a berry coulis, while we looked out the window at a thousand birds. A problem. My daughter and I can no longer share a room while on a trip. Why two related people cannot do this, or share a bathroom is beyond me.She says I snore. I want to make this perfectly clear. I DO NOT SNORE. I HAVE NEVER SNORED. DO YOU KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS TO HAVE TWO ROOMS, WHEN ONE SHOULD BE PERFECTLY ADEQUATE? Years ago houses only had one bathroom. We used it for children going to school and the husband going to work and we had absolutely no trouble. Americans are getting weak. Goodbye- have you ever seen a summer tananger? Happy birding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home