Sunday, February 17, 2008

A SILENT WEEKEND

For some unknown reason, I decided to go to a silent retreat. I had noticed this retreat house for years. It is in a particularly beautiful spot, surroounded by iron gates and majestic trees which I must confess was part of the attraction for me. You stay from Friday noon until Sunday after dinner and I wonderered if I could go that long without talking. B ut I thought it would do me good, sort of like going on a diet or a period of self-denial.

I was on my own at the retreat, since it is usually for groups. There were about fifteen women there from an Episcopal church up the coast but since we didn't speak we never got acquainted. At first I heard them chattering and laughing and I didn't think it was going to work out. But then what they call "The Great Silence" began. From that point on I didn't hear a sound.

The silence was so deep. There was not a murmur, not the sound of a car, a radio, a telephone, not even a dog barking. It was like being blanketed in cotton, or the silence of a great snowfall in the night. Very peaceful and soothing. I had a plain little room with a crucifix over the bed, all in white and just as you would imagine it should be. I had a little chair to read in and spent a wonderful afternoon, it was like heaven.

The only talking was in the church services in the chapel - four and five a day. The form was that of Gregorian plainsong - alternate chanting or song by different sides of the chapel. I felt I was back in the sixteenth century. It was hard to follow the breviary, but once you get into the swing of it, it is very satisfying. I had no idea Episcopalians were still doing this - it must date back to the early Christian church. The last service, Compline, was to end the day and you do sleep even if you are an insomniac like me.

The food at the retreat leaves much to be desired, but I suppose that is in keeping with the idea of a retreat. There were odd cuts of meat, modest portions, and a thin grey gruel-like soup in the evening. I don't know what was in that soup and I'll never find out because the Rule of Silence was in full force at meals. The women sat at a long table, and one of the Sisters read aloud from a religious book while we were eating. I will tell you one thing, eating was meant to be a convivial episode as far as I am concerned. It seems very awkward to eat without any conversation when there are many persons around to converse with.

I didn't stay for the last dinner, because my son came to pick me up. Forgive me, but we went ight away to In-and-Out Burger. Then we drove to San Francisco and I ate my way through orth Beach, I'm sorry about this.

All in all, it was a very fine retreat and I feel very refreshed. I admire the Sisters' way of life and their calmness and beauty of spirit. You should go, if you can, Silence is beautiful.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home